Friday, May 12, 2023

The Face of Pure Evil



This is the Face of Pure Evil.  And the House Where Evil Dwells.

When I was a kid, it was painted grey, and that attic window had bars on it.



Rock Island, July 1969

I lived on the the north side of Denkmann Elementary School  My boyfriend Bill lived two blocks north.

To the east was Darry's house and eventually Country Style Ice Cream.

To the south was Dewey's Candy Store, Gary's house, and eventually the Nazarene church.

To the west was Schneider's Drug Store, where you could buy comic books.

But we never took the direct route.  We walked all the way up to 18th Avenue and around to the back, to avoid The Killer and his house.

There were lots of Mean Boys at Denkmann who would steal your lunch money, call you names, or pound you for infractions of the rules of grade school behavior. Like Dick, who hung out by Dewey's Candy Store and pounded you for being a "girl."  But The Killer was by far the worst.

He interpreted the most innocent statement or gesture, even standing too close to him, even looking at him, as an insult that must be redressed: "Now we have to fight!"

If you refused, he attacked on the spot, or if you were in school, ambushed you on the way home.

If you agreed to fight, you met your doom later, on the west side of the school yard, a desolate space of dead trees and yellow grass across the street from his house.

Snarling like a rabid dog, The Killer fought by punching and kicking you everywhere, in the face, the chest, the belly, the balls.  When you collapsed, bloody and sobbing, he poured dirt on you, spat in your face, and moved on.

When you tried to tell teachers, they simply said "No one likes a tattle-tale."

When you tried to tell parents, they  simply said "You have to learn to fight your own battles."

The only escape was to avoid the Killer: don't sit near him in the cafeteria, don't stand near him at recess, and at all costs stay away from the House of Evil.

But one day during the summer after third grade,  I was stupid.  Mom asked me to return a cake-decorating kit that she borrowed from the Old Lady Schoolteachers, who lived two houses south of the House of Evil.

 I should have walked all the way around Denkmann School, but it was hot, Cartoon Showboat was coming on soon, and besides, the Killer might not even be home.  So I cut diagonally across the parking lot and the schoolyard and came to 40th Street exactly parallel to the Old Lady Schoolteachers' house.

I peered at the House of Evil -- it looked deserted -- took a deep breath, and crossed the street.  I was in the yard -- almost up to the screen porch.  Almost safe.

"Hey, Fairy!"

The Killer!  He must have been lurking in the shadows, waiting for a victim to appear!  And now he was standing right next to me, fists clenched, a snake ready to strike....

My heart was racing.  "I'm not by your house!  The Old Lady Schoolteachers..."

"You sissy, making girly cakes!"  He knocked the cake decorating kit out of my hand.  "Now we have to fight!"

"No, it's my Mom's...." I began, before he punched me hard in the face.  Moaning, I dropped to my knees.  He kicked me in the stomach.

Then I heard someone yelling from a long distance: "Hey, what are you doing to that kid!"

I looked up to see a husky, muscular guy with shaggy red hair and a muscular chest, wearing only short pants and tennis shoes with no socks.  He had freckles everywhere.  He was holding the Killer's arm.

"You apologize!"  he snarled.  "Now!"

Glaring, the Killer muttered "Yeah, sorry, fairy...I mean, Boomer."

The Redhead drew me to my feet and put his arm around my shoulders.   "Now listen up: if I ever hear about you touching this kid again, or calling him names, or even looking at him the wrong way, I will personally see to it that you spend the rest of your life at Joliet State Penitentiary.  I'm in law school -- I know how!"

The Killer paled, but managed one more act of defiance.  "You don't even live here!"

"My Grandma does.  She sees everything you do from that porch.  She'll call me, and I can be here in 45 minutes.  Got it?"

The Killer nodded and scurried off, and the Redhead helped me pick up the cake decorating kit and walked me to the house.

"I'm Nick," he said.  "If that bully bothers you again, just tell my Grandma, and I'll come running.  Ok?"

"The Old Lady Schoolteachers are your Grandmas?" I asked in surprise.

Nick ruffled my hair.  "You know what -- I was just about to go down to Country Style for a malted.  You get your Mom and Dad's permission, you can come with."

I grinned.  It was almost worth getting pummelled to be asked out on a date by a cute guy!

After that I loved hanging out on the West Side.  The Killer never came near me, and every few weeks my "boyfriend" Nick came to visit.

See also: Were the Old Lady Schoolteachers Lesbians?

3 comments:

  1. Why did Nick have his shirt off during a visit to his grandmother? Maybe he was doing some chores for her that involved working outside, or maybe I'm remembering wrong, and he was wearing a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mowing the lawn? Cleaning the gutters? I never wore a shirt when cleaning gutters.

      I like how the neighborhood hasn't changed since the 60s. Not unlike the neighborhoods I know.

      The trailer park one of my mom's old college friends moved to? Gone. (Her son used to watch cartoons with me.)

      The place my token white friend lived? (The first, and until college only, circumcised penis I'd seen in person.) Not how I remember it, with a lot of intersections now "approaching". Like the roads almost meet, but stop a few feet short.

      In fact, this hare-brained "approaching" planning is in a lot of small towns now. And it's even in once-elegant city plans. I don't get it. I just know it's something from the last 20 years and assume it's the same "let's make something needlessly complicated to show how smart we are" school of thought that turns me off about the political class.

      The map of my cousin's Atlanta home (which was close to a recording studio which it turns out, at least now it's more than twenty miles from where I thought it was) and my grandparents' favorite vacation spot are totally different. And the vacation spot I do know, because a sinkhole was a tourist trap, complete with a store, a small eatery, a small garden, and a wax museum. Same spot, and same hotels, but the roads are still different, beyond "just north of our hotel were a mini-golf place, a Burger King, a grocery store, and a mall". My grandmother went on vacation just to go shopping, I swear.

      Delete
    2. There's a new exit from the school parking lot now, and the lilac bush next to my old house is gone, but otherwise the street looks the same. But other parts of Rock Island have changed beyond recognition. Downtown now has a pedestrian promenade with shops and restaurants. I've never actually been to it, since when I go to Rock Island now, it's just for overnight on the way to Indiana or New York.

      Delete

L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...