Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A Hook Up with Burt Ward on the "Batman" Set

On Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons in the spring of 1991, after my course in Biblical Hebrew at UCLA, I often drove up to Brentwood to visit Cesar Romero, the actor best known as The Cisco Kid in the 1940s and the Joker in the 1960s Batman series.  We didn't become friends, exactly; we sat in his living room drinking lemonade, while he told about the many celebrities he had hooked up with through his career: Johnny Sheffield, Tommy Cook, Desi Arnaz (father and son both), Cary Grant, Walter Pidgeon, Raymond Burr, Tony Perkins,  Tab Hunter, Rock Hudson.

And Batman and Robin both!

He had gone down on Adam West (Batman) several times at all-male parties before he began playing the Joker.  No big surprises there.

But Burt Ward was 21 years old, a sheltered, conservative college jock who was not even aware that same-sex acts exist until  Adam West explained.  He allowed Cesar to go down on him once ("Huge!  A Kielbasa!"), but was never really comfortable around gay people.

So this story leaves me with a few questions.

Warning: there is a bisexual scene.


Hollywood, Spring 1967

Call me Scott.  I was one of the writers for the Batman series in the 1960s.  I wrote for the villains, making them as camp as possible.  My favorites were the women: Catwoman; Black Widow; Olga, Queen of the Cossacks; Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, played by Caroline Jones (Morticia of The Addams Family).  

But the male villain had their charms.  Many of them were gay: Cesar Romero (The Joker), Burgess Meredith (The Penguin), Victor Buono (King Tut), Liberace (Chandell).  After filming we used to go out to the bars, or to Cesar's house for an all-male party.   Adam West (Batman) and one of the costume designers came on occasion, but not Burt Ward (Robin).

I definitely wanted an opportunity to make it with Burt.  Have you seen the bulge in his tights?  Well, I've seen it close up!

Everyone said he was a sheltered, shy kid who didn't even know that gay people existed.  Even Cesar Romero struck out, and he made it with every guy in Hollywood.

Well, one day I got my chance.


Remember all those cliffhanging scenes, with the Dynamic Duo tied up?  We filmed the start and finish at the same time, to ensure continuity, which means that they sometimes had to stay tied up for a couple of hours.  Often they were left alone on a secluded stage for 20-30 minutes, with nothing to do but get hit on.

Some of the girls in the crew were notorious for taking that opportunity to kiss and fondle the helpless victims.  They would even bring in their friends to get a handful.  I never saw any penis actually come out, but there was a lot of groping and tenting -- I've seen both Adam and Burt fully aroused.

Ok, maybe they weren't entirely helpless -- most of the props were rather flimsy, so if they really worked at it, they could escape.  And, one yell would bring a stage hand running.  Maybe they enjoyed the attention.

In an episode we filmed just before the 1967 summer hiatus, Burt was tied up alone, spreadeagle on a table.  I walked past during the staging, as usual, and saw two girls working on him, #1 kissing him and #2 rubbing his crotch.

I walked up, said "Let an expert show you how it's done," then pulled out his cock.

Burt didn't protest -- he was busy kissing Girl #1.  I don't think he even noticed me.  I licked his balls, then his shaft, then drew all 8" into my mouth, sucking on the head while masturbating him.

He moaned, probably thinking that Girl #2 was going down on him.  Then she said "Who invited the fairy to the party?"

Burt looked up. I immediately moved my mouth away from his cock, but continued to masturbate him.

"Hi," I said.  Not much else to say in that situation.

"Oh, hi."  Burt looked at me for a long moment.  I couldn't tell if he was mad or not.  "Say, can you get Dick a girlfriend? [Dick Grayson, Robin's alter ego]. Fans are starting to talk."

"Sure, buddy, no problemo."  I returned to his cock.  Girl #2 shrugged and moved up to kiss him.  A few moments later, he spurted into my throat -- enormous load!  I wiped him off with my handkerchief, and moved on.

I tried to keep my word, but my "Dick's Girlfriend is Kidnapped" idea didn't make it.  But I did manage the next best thing: The premiere episode of the third season introduced Yvonne Craig as Barbara Gordon, Batgirl!

And no, I never had the opportunity to go down on Burt again.



5 comments:

  1. DC seems to have made it a running gag: Robin has two main canon relationships: Batgirl and Starfire. There have also been times he's been the object of "female-on-male rape is fine" double standards.

    Interestingly enough, Terra didn't try to seduce Nightwing in The Judas Contract.

    Though, Jason Todd's also hooked up with Starfire. And he's very well-endowed in the New 52. Actually, the only male Robin who hasn't gotten laid a lot is Damien Wayne, and he died in his teens. (And there's no way he could be in a relationship with his baggage. I mean, his grandfather is Ra's al-Ghul.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof Jokers should blow Robins, not blow them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In his autobiography, Burt Ward mentions being blown while tied up on the set. He doesn't mention any male partners, but you wouldn't really expect him to.

      Delete
    2. Well, his character is...interesting, to say the least. Dick Grayson and by extension the other Robins have an interesting history, since they're some of the most androgynous men in comics.

      And yes, his being a masochist is canon.

      I do think things like the current "Ric" arc and a few years ago a non-canon story where he murders everyone with superpowers (and oh look, what was "fuck Batman" about?), and the Liefeldians telling his (disproportionately female and/or gay) fan base "You can't have him. He's ours. In fact, they're all ours. The entire comic book medium has always been a joyless slog of testosterone and epinephrine and always will be. So sit back and enjoy the poorly drawn ladies in anatomically impossible poses."

      Delete
    3. Oh, forgot to mention: It's funny, today's fandom can see Dick Grayson with just about everybody, male and female. Except Batman. Most fans are also skittish about pairing two Robins together, though Archive Of Our Own lists Jaybird (Dick and Jason Todd, the guy I alluded to with my comment about blowing up Robins) as the most common Bat family slash ship.

      Delete

L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...