When I was in junior high in the 1970s, I read Lost World of the Kalahari, by Laurent Van Der Post, about the Bushmen or San. Today it seems rather simplistic and colonialist, full of "noble savage" myths, but to a 15-year old in the Midwest, it was fascinating:
1. The Bushmen lived in the arid Kalahari desert, the most inhospitable place on Earth
2. Their culture hadn't changed in 40,000 years
3. They drew rock paintings similar to those of our cave man ancestors.
4. Their language used a distinctive pattern of clicks.
5. They were a distinctive race, yellow-skinned, wrinkled, with steatopygia (I had to look it up: large buttocks).
6. And, most intriguingly, the men "were born, lived, and died" in a semi-aroused state. They were proud of their difference from other men, and called themselves Qhwai-xkhwe ("always standing") to openly proclaim it.
I had to see that!
I didn't think about it again until college, where our library offered an Interlibrary Loan service. So I requested The Khoisan Peoples of South Africa, Pygmies and Bushmen of the Kalahari, The Bushmen, and Namibia Old and New. Nothing, although Bushmen rock art regularly depicts men in a state of arousal.
In West Hollywood, I saw A Far Off Place (1993), about two Western kids forced to flee across the Kalahari with the assistance of a helpful Bushman boy. Nothing.
I didn't think about it again until I visited Durban, South Africa in 2000. There weren't any Khoisan or San speakers at the conference, that I know of. There was a tourist attraction called the Bushman Caves, in the Drakensburg Mountains on the border with Lesotho, but no "real" Bushmen.
Should I go up, introduce myself, and grab? Follow him into the bathroom? Hope that he went to the dark room?
I decided to introduce myself.
"Hi, my name is Boomer," I said. "I'm from Montreal. I used to work in porn films."
Of course, it did. It was everywhere.
He hadn't stopped holding my hand! And now he was running his other hand against my thigh.
Time to check. On the small side, at least by African standards, but definitely aroused.
And it stayed that way for the whole night.
Se also: The Hottest Guy in the World.; In Search of Sex and Languages in South Africa