Sunday, April 4, 2021

My Five Minutes as a Cub Scout


I was never a Boy Scout, but I was a Cub Scout -- for about five minutes in the winter of fourth grade.

They promoted it heavily in school, with film strips and guest speakers, and a giant assembly where they extolled the wonders of the Loud Thunder Boy Scout Camp.

Lots of cute boys hugging in swimsuits.

It sounded like a good way to increase our cruising options, and get more cute boys for our sleepovers, so Bill, Joel, and I joined.






I liked the cool blue uniforms, the Indian lore, and the various guidebooks that demonstrated how to win merit badges: swimming, diving, life saving.

And our  pack consisted mostly of boys we didn't know from class, so we did get some new opportunities for meeting cute boys.









The pack leader was cute, although I never saw him like this.

Bill and I always cut out just before the final song, "God Bless America," and ran home through the dark winter night to catch The Partridge Family.  It was fun being out after dark by ourselves.

But the benefits were far outweighed by the horrible arts-and-crafts activities!

First, we had to glue something together.  How was I supposed to know that new tubes of glue need a pin-prick?  I squeezed and squeezed, and the whole thing burst all over my scout uniform.

Not the best way to attract the attention of a cute boy.  My mother never did get it clean again.

And we were supposed to build cars out of a block of wood, and paint them.  Smelly, messy, disgusting.


But the worst was the Boy Scout Jamboree that we had to attend downtown.  Boy Scouts demonstrating inane skills, like gardening and being nice to old people.

The one I remember the most vividly is "how to build a fallout shelter" for nuclear war.  Way to put a damper on the afternoon!

The opportunity for cruising wasn't worth it.  Bill and I dropped out.  Joel stuck around.

A few years later, Harvey comics featured a series in which Casper becomes a Cub Scout.   Spooky and Hot Stuff join, too.

Apparently they are all eight years old.

I couldn't figure out why someone who regularly fights mad scientists, monsters, and aliens would want to spend his evenings glueing things together and carving cars out of wood blocks.

Unless Casper was looking for new cruising opportunities, too.


5 comments:

  1. Imagine thinking the Soviets would nuke a small Midwestern town.

    And their solution to sexual abuse was to ban gay teens. This is actually pretty funny to me, because "one time at band camp" is traditionally a male rite of passage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rock Island Arsenal was a storage facility for thousands of guns and bombs, so it would be a prime target. They told us that we were #2 on the Soviet list, but that's probably an exaggeration. Still in the top 10, though.

      Delete
    2. Fair. Probably wherever the ballistic missiles are, to prevent MAD. Then major cities, starting with DC. But until then...

      We'll meet again
      Don't know where, don't know when
      But I know we'll meet again some sunny day

      Delete
    3. so what was your "one night at band camp then...?" ;p

      Delete
    4. I was never in band camp. The summer after my sophomore year in high school, I went to the Dorian Summer Camp in Decorah, Iowa, for musicians. I screwed up the audition tape ("You mean I was supposed to memorize all five pages of music? I just did the first page; I'll have to sight read the rest"). So I ended up halfway through the second violins. That's when I decided to change to viola.

      Delete

L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...