Saturday, December 3, 2022

That Bathhouse in West Hollywood



Last night I dreamed about that bathhouse in West Hollywood again.









We used to go there every Sunday afternoon, after church and the French Quarter.  It was on a street lined with bright, glittering shops and restaurants, always crowded with people.

You entered through a huge glass storefront and paid a squinting, suspicious elderly woman or drag queen.


After depositing your clothes in a locker, you took an elevator upstairs to a vast series of pools, some warm, some cool, all bathed in semi-twilight.  There were hundreds of men, maybe thousands, all naked or wearing towels.

There was never much sex going on, but it was warm, and safe, and I felt an amazing sense of belonging,  This was home.

Sometimes in my dreams I'm back there, at the bathhouse or gym or whatever it was, feeling that warmth and safety and belonging.



But more often I'm trying to find it.

I drive around, but the streets are unfamiliar and confusing.

I cross a vast night-dark field, knowing that it's just at the bottom of that hill, but it's too late, there's not enough time.

It's not open yet, I must come back later.

It's gone, turned into artist studios or a boys' school, and the new proprietor gets all flushed and nervous when I ask about what was there before.

The problem is: That bathhouse never existed.

There were no bathhouses in West Hollywood when I lived there.  The only such place that I have ever gone to regularly was The Club in Fort Lauderdale, which looked nothing the place in my dreams.

So what am I dreaming about?

Death and rebirth?
A screen memory for an alien abduction?
A desire to find that elemental belonging again, to go home?

Update: In more recent dreams, the bathhouse has been turned into an apartment building.  I tell the person at the front desk that this used to be a bathhouse, and he is surprised.  

More recently still, I go to long, boring meetings in one of the apartments, with snacks in the kitchen and someone taking the minutes Then I leave to walk through the darkness of the pre-dawn city; it's too late to go to the bars, so I head home.  

In my last dream, they weren't having a meeting, for some reason, and the guys who lived in the apartment were out.  I hung around by myself for a long time before giving up. 

8 comments:

  1. Boomer, where you in entertainment in the 90's? I was...and there is so much I want to talk about from that time. I have memories flood my mind that were the height of "being young, dumb, hung and blond" I was on some shows and almost became a Haim or Phoenix. Now I look back and there are nude photos of me everywhere that I never authorized and/or wasn't aware I was being filmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't in the entertainment industry; I was just living in West Hollywood,where almost everybody had been in something.I dated a few celebrities, or guys who became celebrities later, but my favorite encounter is lunch with Michael J. Fox. I cover that period of my life in detail in some of the posts on "Tales of West Hollywood." Check the indexes. But be careful with comments: I don't allow profanity.

      Delete
    2. @barronmaxxx well now you've got me curious! xD would love to hear some of those stories, etc.... do you blog?

      Delete
  2. In more recent dreams, the building the bathhouse used to be in is used for meetings, with people (both men and women) sitting on folding chairs and playing with their cell phones, or mingling at the refreshment table. So a lot of dreams about going to meetings. Lately I'm in charge of the meetings. I don't remember what we discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't even born in the golden age of bathhouses, so I know them more from the legends, and the much more family-friendly bathhouses on HUD tracts (known locally as "tracks") where someone forgot to install bathrooms.

    Of course, I also know Japanese and Korean bathhouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the American bathhouses were closed by the time I moved to California. My first time in one was in Europe in the 1990s. Some have returned to the U.S. in the 2000s, but they're more like gyms -- the saunas and steam rooms are minimal, or non existent. Also, they're not for gay men anymore; they're for guys on the downlow who can't bring partners home, lest their wives find out.

      Delete
    2. Some HUD tracts have literal bathhouses, buildings just for bathing. Because they somehow forgot bathrooms.

      Delete
  4. San Diego's bathhouse, Club San Diego, has been open all these years -But closed now due to Covid19. Hopefully it will reopen.

    ReplyDelete

L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...