They can be of any race, but the most common configuration is mestizo, with both white and Indio roots. Straight black hair, brown skin, smooth chest, huge beneath the belt.
I speak fluent Spanish, and lived in places with high Hispanic populations: Los Angeles (49%), New York (27%), and Florida (25%), so I've managed to attract the attention of a few Hispanic hunks, boyfriends, dates, and memorable hookups.
1. Marco the Gay Cannibal. After my freshman year in college, we went to Colombia to build a church, and I encountered a gay hustler ("cannibal"). We didn't actually do anything, but I'm going to count him anyway.
2. Arman, the first Hispanic guy I remember dating, few weeks after I arrived in West Hollywood, shortly after my date with Michael J. Fox. He was a rough-looking tattooed guy who everyone was ignoring at the Gold Coast. Our date involved going to his cousin's quinceanera and meeting his abuela.
3. Raul from East L.A., who I met at the Silver Platter in 1986, when I was tiring of Alan stealing all my Asian dates. We dated, on and off, for the next three years.
Bathhouse Boy Alejandro. Alan and I went cruising in Tijuana and met several guys at the bathhouse, but we met the Indio Alejandro at a bar. His first language was Nahuatl.
5. The Silverlake Stud. In the fall of 1993, I went cruising at Basgo's, east of Alvarado, and met the Silverlake Stud, who pretended that he was poor and didn't speak English.
The Multiracial Four-Way. One night at Basgo's I picked up a black Hispanic guy from Venezuela, while Lane picked up an Asian guy from Mexico.
7.Mauricio, the Waiter in the Mexican Restaurant, who was actually from Macon, Georgia, but put "Mexico City" on his name tag because it sounded better.
9.During the Great Redneck Roundup of 1995, Lane and I met a Hispanic guy in Flagstaff. He worked as a waiter at a gay-friendly bar, but he was actually studying anthropology at Northern Arizona University.
10. At the Gilroy Garlic Festival. David and I shared Hector, who ran the garlic ice cream stand.
11. Mario the Teen Model. The youngest guy I had ever dated up to that point, a 19 year old fashion model and Columbia University student who took me on a wild night that never ended, no matter how often I said "Let's go home."
Every Rule of Gay Cruising. I didn't cruise in bars in New York much. This is probably why. Jorge was attractive and all, but he sneaked me into his parents' house, and then had to sneak me out again while they were all having breakfast in the morning. Plus I got lost somewhere in New Jersey.
13. Andre, who wore a Flowah Powah T-shirt and took me on the worst date in Florida history, involving a half-built house, an alligator, a crazy roommate, and drugs.
14. Remy, a regular at the Filling Station. We were "bar friends" for two years before we finally got around to hooking up.
15. Victor, who Yuri and I shared in 2004. I didn't know he was Hispanic until he wrote down his last name.
16. His boyfriend Jauvier, a blond Hispanic guy from Peru.
17. Carlos and his Two Secrets. First secret: instead of "a few extra pounds," he was a superchub. Second secret: his boyfriend was an incredible muscle god.
18. The Shared Stud. Troy tries being a top, but it doesn't work out well.
19. The straight guy's first time. CJ, a time traveler from the distant past, had crazy, outdated ideas about gay people.
20.The Trophy Boy, met at the doctor's office, where I had to pry him away from his overprotective Dad.