Thursday, February 9, 2017
50 States, 50 Naked Men, Part 1
1. Illinois. Tough call, since I grew up in Rock Island and went to college there. But I'm going to go with Dylan, the 28-year old retro twink met in 2015. He acted like it was still 1985.
2. Indiana. Another tough call: visits to relatives twice a year, graduate school at Indiana University, visiting my parents in Indianapolis. I'm going to go with Tyler, the "son" of my first boyfriend Fred, who I met in 2012. He was actually the son of Fred's housemate, but I still got a weird family vibe.
3. Iowa. Davenport, Iowa was right across the river from Rock Island. Plus I've been to Des Moines several times. But my favorite hookup was with a 48-hour long date with Sammy, the son of my old speech teacher Mr. Blowfish, a Swedish-Vietnamese art history professor who took me on a 36 hour date in Cornell, Iowa.
4. Michigan. In 1971, we visited my Indian relatives in Dowagiac, Michigan, and I played a bondage - penis grabbing game with my older cousin Javon. Huge!
5. Minnesota. At a conference in St. Peter, Minnesota, I picked up a Vietnamese undergrad at an art gallery, but ended up on a date with his gym rat cousin.
6. Nebraska. In 1980 my boyfriend Fred and I moved to Omaha for a terrible month. He brought home Mike, a teenager from his youth group at church, for my first three-way. Years later I tried to find Mike again. He had died, but I found out from his nephew that he kept a picture from that night all his life.
7. Ohio. Three years in Dayton, plus many visits to Cleveland on the way from Upstate to Indianapolis, stopping at the Flex Club on the way. One year Troy and I hooked up with the Shy Boy who Wouldn't Leave My Room.
8. Wisconsin. We lived in Racine, Wisconsin from Kindergarten through second grade, but of course I was too young for sausage sightings. I didn't meet anyone in Wisconsin until January 2014, when I went to Milwaukee for a post-Christmas vacation, and picked up Superman.
9. Connecticut. When I was living on Long Island, my first year in grad school, I went out on a date with a guy who lived in Greenwich, Connecticut, three hours away by train. I spent the night, and the next day he gave me the wrong directions, so I had to spend 2 hours standing on a train platform.
10. Maine. In 2010, my boyfriend Troy and I went to the gay resort town of Ogunquit, Maine. I don't care much for resorts, but we did manage to pick up a guy on the beach. He was black, and into BDSM, both rarities in Maine.
11. Massachusetts. No question: Jermaine, the Biggest Guy on my Sausage List.
12. New Hampshire. Drove through, but didn't stop.
13. Rhode Island. In 2000, Yuri and I visited my friend Zack, who was studying at the Rhode Island School of Design.
14. Vermont. On the way back from Maine in 2010, Troy and I stayed overnight in Burlington, Vermont, and hooked up with an undergrad French major at Middlebury College.
Middle Atlantic States
15. Delaware. I've only been here once, when Jermaine, the Biggest Guy on My Sausage List, took me to Bowers Beach for his uncle's 50th birthday party. No bedroom activity except with Jermaine, but I did see Uncle Titus naked.
16. Maryland. November 2016: Three guys in my bed in Baltimore, each more hung than the last.
17. New Jersey. When I lived in New York, one night I broke every rule of gay cruising and ended up in the house of a cute Hispanic guy, with his parents in the next room, somewhere in New Jersey.
19. Pennsylvania. During my year in Philadelphia, I had an election-night hookup with Oscar the Grouch, aka Oscar the Irish bodybuilder, and his American boy toy.
20. Washington DC. Visited several times, hooked up with several guy, but my favorite was probably the "straight" jock with the bulge who I brought back to the apartment as a "gift" for Alan and his partner Sandy.
21. Florida. I lived in Wilton Manors for 4 years, but my most memorable hookup was probably when David and I drove down to Key West, and picked up the hitchhiker.
22. Georgia. When Lane and I were living in West Hollywood, we flew to Atlanta for some reason -- I don't remember why -- and hooked up with a Georgia boy.
23. North Carolina. One year Alan and his partner Sandy took me to a gay resort on the coast of North Carolina.
24. South Carolina. When I visited my Cousin George in South Carolina in 1971, we took baths together and slept naked ("only fools wear pajamas"). When I reunited with him in 2005, I discovered that he insisted on the baths and sleeping naked so he could get a sausage sighting.
25. Virginia. When I visited Alan and Sandy in Norfolk, they were monogamous, but provided me with a "substitute" named Tarik.
26. West Virginia. Drove through, but didn't stop.
Next: the South, the Mountain States, and the West, in Part Two.