Thursday, March 7, 2024

My First Pridefest...I mean, Gay Pride Parade....I mean, Gay Rights March. With Mickey Muscle.



June 1982, after my junior year at Augustana College.  Thomas, the former Episcopalian priest who I met with my ex-boyfriend Fred last year, calls to invite me to Des Moines for the annual Iowa Gay Rights March.

I have never heard of such a thing.

"We march to protest police harassment, discrimination in jobs and housing, sodomy laws, that sort of thing.  We had one last year.  It's always close to June 28th, the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots."

I have never heard of the Stonewall Riots, either.  But count me in.

The full story, with nude photos, is on RG Beefcake and Boyfriends

3 comments:

  1. That must have been pretty frightening, marching in a gay rights parade in early 1980's Iowa. I'm glad Mickey redeemed himself after ditching you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were expecting it to be much worse than it was. All we got was some laughs and pointing, and the police staring intently at us.

      Delete
    2. Plus, it's not like Iowa's a red state, despite recent revisionism.

      Delete

L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...