Tuesday, August 2, 2022

A Hookup in the Sauna with John Amos


West Hollywood, 2017

I'm having dinner with my ex-boyfriend Lane and his husband Ben and some of their conservative, assimilated Orange County friends, who surprisingly have quite a treasure-trove of celebrity hookup stories.  Earle has just told about public sex with then-teen idol Matt Dillon.

"Kid stuff!" Stan exclaims.  He's in his sixties, chubby, balding with a white goatee.  "Anybody can hook up with a twink -- they're so horny, they don't even care who they're with.  But it takes style and finesse to seduce a real man.  And back in the 1980s, I had the biggest and the best -- John Amos."

"Wow -- I used to see him at the gym," I say.  "Hung like a garden hose."

Born in 1939, former pro football player John Amos was very visible during the 1970s, playing Gordy the Weatherman on Mary Tyler Moore, the Dad on Good Times (1974-76),  and the older Kunta Kinte on Roots (1977).  During the 1980s, he did a lot of guest spots, and went to the gym a lot.  He was very dark and very buffed, with easily a 50" chest ant 18" biceps, plus about 6" soft.

"I saw him, too," Stan says.  "But I did more than look, let me tell you!"

"Wait -- was this the Holiday Spa on LaBrea?"

He nods.

From 1986 to 1990,  I went to the Holiday Spa five times a week (not to be confused with the Hollywood Spa, a sex hotel). There were closer gyms, and gayer gyms  -- only about 50% of the patrons were gay men --  but the Holiday Spa got the most celebrities.  Not big names, but recognizable: Ron Glass from Barney Miller; Peter Scolari from Newhart; Tom Villard from We Got it Made; Jimmie Walker from Good Times. Some were gay, and some just worked nearby.  It was fun to speculate on who was who.

John Amos often worked at the same time as I did.  He became one of those "nodding acquaintances" you develop at the gym.  You nod, ask "can I squeeze in between your sets," maybe say "nice workout today" if you see him in the locker room, but nothing more.

I never saw him having a cruisy conversation with anyone.

Lane lived five blocks from the West Hollywood Gym (now Basecamp Fitness), so around 1990, I started going there most of the time, dropping into the Holiday Spa only when I happened to be in the neighborhood. I rarely saw John Amos after that.

That's the end of my John Amos story.

But Stan has a lot more.  He doesn't remember the year, probably 1987 or 1988.

Hollywood, 1987

Stan was 33 years old, black-haired, built, and horny.  The AIDS crisis didn't stop his tricking: you can't stop living your life just because of some virus.  Just put a condom on it and be careful.

His favorite gym was the Holiday Spa, 90% gay men, 100% cruisy.  Guys would display erections in the shower, get blow jobs in the sauna.  Of course, you had to be careful, only hooking up late at night when most of the straight guys were gone.

He went down on a few gym rats in the shower, had a cute Asin twink go down on him in the sauna, but John Amos was special, the stuff of memories.

It was about 10:00 pm on a Thursday night, and Stan had just arrived at the Holiday Spa. He usually showered, hit the pool for cardio, did his weight training (lower body on Thursdays), and then hit the shower again.  The locker room was nearly deserted, so he took his time showering, hoping that someone would show up and he could at least get a sausage sighting.

He got one: John Amos, the tv star, came strutting down the rows, naked, carrying a towel and grooming kit at his side.  He wasn't very tall, surprisingly, but he had a v-shaped torso, a flat outtie belly button, and a huge cock that swung between his legs like a pendulum!

"Like the view, boy?" Amos said with a smile.  He chose the shower next to Stan and turned it on.  Water streamed down his massive chest, formed a little rivulet off his cock.

"I'm not a twink, I'm 33," Stan protested.

"When you get to be my age, all of you pretty little white boys look like twinks."  He squirted out some liquid soap and started soaping up his cock.

"That's a big job," Stan said.  "Can I give you a hand."

"Ok by me -- but use your tongue."

 Stan knelt on the shower floor, wrapped his hands around Amos' butt, and started on his cock.  It immediately hardened to about 8", with a huge head.  Stan bobbed up and down while squeezing Amos' balls.

After awhile, Amos said "Come on, boy -- we're wasting water."  He turned off the shower, grabbed his grooming kit and towel, and led Stan to the steam room.

It was moist and drippy, but not very hot -- no one had added more steam for awhile.  Still aroused, Amos opened his grooming kit and pulled out a condom.

Stan froze -- he was an anal top!  He rarely bottomed, and then only for very small guys.  "I'm not sure I can take all that."

"It's not for me, white boy -- it's for you."  Amos pressed the condom into his hand and bent  over the bleachers, manipulating himself with one hand.  "I haven't had a white cock in me in two months.  Now get busy!"

"Yes, sir!"  Stan manipulated his own 6.5" until it was hard, then rolled on the condom and pushed into Amos' very tight butt.  Amos groaned but pushed against him, and tightened his sphincter.  Stan thrust slowly at first, then faster and faster while Amos groaned "That's it, white boy.  You know where it goes."

Finally Stan spurted into the condom.  He pulled out and rolled it up.

"Ready to take it, boy?" Amos said, working frantically, his eyes closed.  He stood.  "Get ready for it..."

Stan knelt and took Amos' load.

Afterwards they took another shower, and Amos left and Stan continued his workout.  They didn't exchange phone numbers.

Stan went to the gym at the same time every night for a week, but he never saw John Amos again.

Was Stan Telling the Truth?

I don't remember the Hollywood Spa being nearly that active.

John Amos has been married three times, most recently to Elisabete De Sousa (since 1982).  He has played gay characters, and is very gay-positive in real life.  That strikes me as someone who is heterosexual.

I could see a blow job in the shower, under the "a mouth is a mouth" theory of straight-gay hookups. But being an anal bottom?  Surely Stan made that up to give his story some added zing.

See also: Earle Has Public Sex with Teen Idol Matt Dillon



2 comments:

  1. Main reason I even watched good times is I expected that at any moment his pants would split open due too the pressure of his package pushing against them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Amos said after Beastmaster he got invited to a lot of leather bars. Doesn't mean he was a bottom, though. (And as you said, a lot of straight guys, if sufficiently horny, will have gay sex with limits. Bottoming being outside those limits.)

    That said, I remember this was the 80s. Homophobia was arguably at its peak in the 80s. The era of Dahmer, of moral panic over pedophiles, of AIDS (and political forces who were happy to say gay men were all HIV-positive pedophile serial killers). I mean, even Phil Collins poking fun at said political forces includes the "gay villain but it's okay because he's bi" trope: "I believe in the family with my ever-living wife beside me but she don't know about my girlfriend or the man I met last night". I have a harder time accepting a story of a straight guy bottoming in that case, notwithstanding the Honorable Devil's Triangle. (Sharing a girl was acceptable in the 80s, but still on the borderline. The ideal threesome still had more women than men.)

    Any Marc Singer stories to complete the Beastmaster series?

    ReplyDelete

L

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...